Tinker v. Des Moines Independent Community School District laid the foundation for defining students’ First Amendment Rights of Freedom of Expression. LaMorte (2012) provides us with several examples of how Tinker has been referenced in subsequent cases.
- Read the article found at: https://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-complicated-case-of-the-pennsylvania-cheerleader
- Write 2-4 well developed paragraphs addressing the following questions:
- What arguments could be made for and against the student’s actions?
- Do you feel students’ First Amendment Rights of Freedom of Expression limit school leaders’ power to maintain an orderly learning environment? Why or why not?
- Given what you have learned, what actions would you take, as a school leader, to ensure you are not denying students’ rights, but are maintaining an orderly learning environment?
- Any other thoughts regarding students’ rights?
- Cite evidence for the course readings or other scholarly sources to support your statements. Use APA formatted citations and include an APA formatted reference section (as needed).