InstructionsFirst Steps on Becoming a Grassroots Lobbyist/Advocate for Health Care PolicyIn a Microsoft Word document of 4-5 pages formatted in APA style, you will imagine you are going to make a visit to your representative in Congress. There are two parts to this assignment.Address the following topics: Develop a one-page document that supports your position on the AHCA that you would leave with your representative or his or her aide when you make your visit. This one-pager, also called a “leave behind,” should state your position clearly in bullet points and give your reasons why your position is preferred. This “leave behind” should have 1 inch margins and utilize 14-point font throughout. If you were making this visit in person, you would present your “leave behind” to the person with whom you speak during your visit. Include a second page that describes your rationale for the position in your “leave behind” page supported by at least two journal articles. Write a two-page brief to describe the scenario surrounding your legislative visit. Understanding the political affiliation of your representative, include answers to the following: Was your member in support or in opposition to the AHCA? State three points that you would cover in support or opposition to your representative’s position. How does your nursing experience influence the advocacy position that you take on the AHCA? You may find it necessary to search for answers to the questions outside of the assigned reading.On a separate reference page, cite all sources using APA format. Please note that the title and reference pages should not be included in the total page count of your paper. Use this APA Citation Helper as a convenient reference for properly citing resources. This handout will provide you the details of formatting your essay using APA style. You may create your essay in this APA-formatted template.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor responsible for designing assignments and evaluating students in a medical college, I understand the importance of advocating for health care policy. In this particular scenario, students are tasked with imagining a visit to their representative in Congress and developing a one-page document that supports their position on the Affordable Health Care Act (AHCA). Additionally, they are required to write a two-page brief describing the scenario surrounding their legislative visit.
For the first part of the assignment, students are instructed to develop a one-page document, also known as a “leave behind,” which clearly states their position on the AHCA in bullet points and provides reasons for why their position is preferred. It is essential that this document supports their position effectively, concisely, and convincingly. The following elements should be included in the “leave behind”:
1. Clear Position Statement: The document should clearly state whether the student supports or opposes the AHCA.
2. Supporting Points: Bullet points should be used to support the position, providing clear and concise reasons for why the student’s position is preferred. These points should be well-researched and include relevant evidence and statistics to strengthen their arguments.
3. Persuasive Language: The document should utilize persuasive language to effectively communicate the student’s position. This includes using strong vocabulary and presenting logical arguments.
4. Formatting: The “leave behind” should adhere to specific formatting guidelines, including 1-inch margins and 14-point font throughout. This ensures readability and professionalism.
Moving on to the second part of the assignment, students are required to write a two-page brief describing the scenario surrounding their legislative visit. This brief should include the following information:
1. Political Affiliation: Identify the political affiliation of the representative being visited. This information is important in understanding the context within which the visit will take place.
2. Representative’s Position: Determine whether the representative is in support or in opposition to the AHCA. This can be done through research, including reviewing the representative’s voting record or public statements.
3. Supporting Arguments: State three points that would be covered in support or opposition to the representative’s position. These points should be well-reasoned, supported by evidence, and aligned with the student’s position on the AHCA.
4. Nursing Experience Influence: Explain how the student’s nursing experience influences their advocacy position on the AHCA. This can include personal experiences with patients or an understanding of the healthcare system and its impact on patient care.
To support the rationale for the position stated in the “leave behind” and the scenario described in the two-page brief, students should include at least two journal articles as references. These articles should be scholarly and relevant to the topic at hand. A separate reference page should be created following APA format guidelines.
In summary, this assignment requires students to effectively advocate for their position on the AHCA by developing a one-page “leave behind” and describing the scenario for their legislative visit in a two-page brief. Through research, well-supported arguments, and an understanding of their representative’s position, students can demonstrate their knowledge and expertise in health care policy advocacy.