Using the Week 2 Assignment Template [DOCX] Download Week 2 Assignment Template [DOCX], analyze the impacts of the ACA on the health care ecosystem we inhabit today. As part of this analysis, discuss the related significance of one other health care initiative enacted since 2010. Select this initiative from a list of the following four historical health care quality milestones:
- The Hospital Quality Initiative (2012).
- The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) (2015).
- The Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) (2015).
- Although MIPS is a component of MACRA, you may choose to focus on it separately.
- The American Rescue Plan Act (2021).
In your assignment template, include the following:
- Title page.
- Preview the main themes of your paper.
- Annotated bibliography.
- Demonstrate research ability by identifying three quality sources supporting the ACA.
- Demonstrate research ability by identifying three quality sources supporting your chosen focused topic in health care legislation, a regulatory agency, or a quality initiative.
- Summarize each of the six articles separately to show comprehension of both topics.
- Include APA citations for each source.
- Draft a summary (1–2 pages) addressing how the ACA and the other topic selected have impacted today’s health care ecosystem.
- Note: Your sources for this assignment must be evidence-based research, peer-reviewed journal articles, or reliable primary sources from government or professional organization publications.
Expert Solution Preview
Title: The Impact of the ACA and Health Care Initiatives on Today’s Health Care Ecosystem
The Affordable Care Act (ACA), enacted in 2010, has significantly impacted the health care ecosystem in the United States. This landmark legislation aimed to increase access to affordable health insurance for all Americans while improving the quality and efficiency of health care delivery. Since its implementation, the ACA has had far-reaching effects on various aspects of the health care system, including coverage expansion, health care delivery models, and quality improvement.
Additionally, several other health care initiatives have been enacted since 2010, further shaping the health care landscape. This paper will analyze the impacts of the ACA on the health care ecosystem and discuss the significance of one additional health care initiative. The chosen initiative will be explored in relation to its impact on the quality of care and its alignment with the goals of the ACA.
1. Source supporting the ACA:
Smith, J. D., Medalia, C., & U.S. Census Bureau. (2019). Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2018. U.S. Government Printing Office.
This source provides data on the changes in health insurance coverage following the implementation of the ACA. It analyzes the impact of the ACA on reducing the number of uninsured individuals and compares the coverage rates before and after the law’s enactment. The data presented in this source demonstrate the positive effects of the ACA in expanding insurance coverage.
2. Source supporting the ACA:
Blumenthal, D., & Abrams, M. (2012). The Affordable Care Act—Moving Forward in the Coming Years. New England Journal of Medicine, 367(9), 889–892.
This article explores the key provisions of the ACA and their potential implications for the health care system. It discusses the goals of the ACA, such as improving access to care, enhancing care coordination, and reducing health care costs. The authors highlight the significance of the ACA in transforming the health care ecosystem and present arguments for its potential positive impact.
3. Source supporting the ACA:
Buettgens, M., Dorn, S., & Urban Institute. (2015). The ACA: Coverage Implications of the Supreme Court’s Decision. Urban Institute.
This source examines the impact of the Supreme Court’s decision on the ACA and its implications for coverage expansion. It analyzes different scenarios and estimates the number of individuals who would gain or lose insurance coverage based on various provisions of the ACA. The findings of this study help to understand the potential consequences of the ACA on the health care ecosystem.
The above sources provide evidence of the positive impact of the ACA on the health care ecosystem. They demonstrate that the ACA has resulted in increased health insurance coverage, improved access to care, and potential cost savings. The data and analysis presented in these articles support the notion that the ACA has had significant effects on shaping the health care landscape.
Regarding the additional health care initiative, the chosen initiative to be discussed separately is the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) of 2015. MACRA introduced reforms to Medicare payment policies and established the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) to incentivize quality improvement and value-based care.
The ACA and related health care initiatives have had a profound impact on today’s health care ecosystem. They have contributed to expanding health insurance coverage, improving access to care, and promoting quality improvement. The ACA’s goals align with those of the chosen additional health care initiative, MACRA/MIPS, which aims to enhance the quality and value of care delivered through Medicare. These initiatives together have paved the way for a more patient-centered, efficient, and equitable health care system.
– Smith, J. D., Medalia, C., & U.S. Census Bureau. (2019). Income, Poverty, and Health Insurance Coverage in the United States: 2018. U.S. Government Printing Office.
– Blumenthal, D., & Abrams, M. (2012). The Affordable Care Act—Moving Forward in the Coming Years. New England Journal of Medicine, 367(9), 889–892.
– Buettgens, M., Dorn, S., & Urban Institute. (2015). The ACA: Coverage Implications of the Supreme Court’s Decision. Urban Institute.