There are various healthcare organizations that play a role in the U.S. Healthcare System. You are to choose an organization from the list below and research the following information:
1. The mission statement or statement of purpose of the organization.
2. Describe the activities/responsibilities of the organization. Does it support their mission statement?
3. Describe the importance of the organization to U.S. Healthcare.
4. Analyze and discuss current research being conducted by this organization (at least three current studies being performed).
5. Identify areas that need improvement, additional support (i.e., funding, research, patient participation), and suggestions for improvement.
You are to write a 10-15 page paper regarding the organization (choose one organization from the list below) using 8-10 peer reviewed articles. You will submit components of your paper throughout the course and the final version of you paper will be due at the end of week 8. Your paper must follow APA format. I have attached a sample APA paper for your review.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
The Joint Commission
Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality
American Medical Association
Expert Solution Preview
When choosing an organization to research for this assignment, I would select the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC is a prominent healthcare organization in the United States that plays a crucial role in protecting public health and preventing disease. This organization is responsible for a wide range of activities and responsibilities that align with its mission statement, ultimately contributing to the improvement of healthcare in the country. Additionally, the CDC is actively involved in conducting various research studies that highlight its commitment to advancing scientific knowledge in the field of public health. However, like any organization, there are always areas that can be improved upon, and I will identify and provide suggestions for these areas as well.
1. The mission statement of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention emphasizes their commitment to “protecting America from health, safety, and security threats, both foreign and in the United States.” Their aim is to accomplish this through “health promotion, prevention of disease, injury, and disability, and preparedness for new health threats.”
2. The CDC engages in numerous activities and responsibilities that strongly support their mission statement. They conduct surveillance and epidemiological studies to identify and monitor the spread of diseases and health threats. Additionally, the CDC is involved in disease prevention efforts, such as immunization programs and education campaigns. They also collaborate with international organizations to address global health issues and provide emergency response during outbreaks or natural disasters. All these activities align with their mission of protecting public health.
3. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are of immense importance to the U.S. Healthcare system. Their role in disease surveillance and outbreak response is crucial to preventing and controlling the spread of infectious diseases within the country. The CDC also contributes to public health by promoting preventive measures, such as vaccinations and health education. Through their research and data analysis, the CDC provides evidence-based recommendations that guide healthcare policies and interventions at the federal, state, and local levels.
4. The CDC conducts numerous research studies to advance public health knowledge and enhance disease prevention strategies. Three current studies being performed by the CDC include research on COVID-19 transmission dynamics and variants, the impact of climate change on public health, and the development of strategies to reduce the burden of chronic diseases in the United States. These studies highlight the CDC’s commitment to addressing emerging health threats, understanding environmental influences on health, and improving outcomes for individuals with chronic conditions.
5. While the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are highly regarded for their contributions to public health, there are areas that can benefit from improvement and additional support. Firstly, increasing funding for the CDC can strengthen their ability to respond to public health emergencies promptly and effectively. Additionally, enhancing research capabilities and encouraging greater patient participation in studies can further advance knowledge and improve healthcare outcomes. Moreover, the CDC can focus on improving health equity and addressing health disparities within different populations to ensure that their interventions effectively reach all segments of society.
In conclusion, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention play a vital role in the U.S. Healthcare System. Their mission, activities, and responsibilities all align towards protecting public health and preventing disease. The organization’s commitment to research and generating evidence-based recommendations furthers their contribution to healthcare improvements. However, there are areas that could benefit from additional support and improvement, such as increased funding, enhanced research capabilities, and addressing health disparities. Through addressing these areas, the CDC can continue to fulfill its mission and effectively combat health threats in the United States.